Truck Accidents: Causes, Injuries, And Legal Remedies
- Did you know that in 2021, trucking companies like UPS and FedEx were involved in more than 3000 accidents?
- Are you aware that trucking accidents result in over a thousand fatalities every year on US roads and highways?
- Have you pursued legal remedies to get compensations and settlements in case of truck accidents and injuries?
Trucks are an indispensable part of modern economies. They help move goods to different parts of the country. In the US alone, 71% of all freight that moves within the country is done by trucks. With the demand for goods and services increasing more than ever, trucks have become quintessential to the functioning of nations.
However, there is no denying the fact that 18-wheel trucks are a source of major accidents. Trucking accidents are serious and most often result in permanent disability or death. There are legal remedies available to the aggrieved.
In this article, we are going to look at the following important points on truck accidents-
- Causes of truck accidents in the United States
- The major types of injuries one can sustain in trucking accidents
- Legal remedies that are available to the injured in case of truck accidents
We take help from a leading truck accident lawyer in Atlanta, Georgia to help you understand more on the subject.
List of 5 Major Causes of Truck Accidents in the United States of America
1. Rash Driving Behaviour-
Truckers are always on a tight schedule. Their companies force them to shorten delivery times to improve efficiency. Truckers receive payments depending on how many jobs they can execute. Naturally, this leads them to indulge in rash driving, overspeeding and dangerous overtaking maneuvers. This is a major reason for accidents happening on the roads.
2. Driver Distraction on Long Journeys-
Driving for twelve hours a day is not easy. Drivers start feeling bored and monotonous on their journeys. They try to keep themselves entertained by watching movies, or listening to music while driving. They even keep talking to friends and family members on video calls. These distractions are enough to create split-second errors leading to accidents and injuries.
3. Fatigue and Drowsiness-
Driving an 18-wheel semi is not easy. It is a lot of hard work. Drivers compromise on their sleep to put in the long hours on the road. This can lead to drivers falling asleep at the wheel because of fatigue and drowsiness. While trucking companies have been asked by the authorities to ensure truckers get adequate rest, this does not happen in most circumstances.
4. Poor Vehicle Maintenance-
Trucking companies do not invest as they should in maintaining the quality of the vehicles. Over a period, the brakes lose their bite and the tires get worn out. This prevents the vehicle to come to sudden stops and results in accidents. As regular servicing and parts maintenance is an expensive proposition, trucking companies compromise on the same.
5. Intoxicated Truck Drivers-
The use of drugs and alcohol consumption among truck drivers has been reported in different non-profit articles and researches. To keep themselves entertained on journeys, drivers take help from intoxicants. This blunts their instincts and prevents them from being sharp on the roads. Needless to say, this is a major cause of accidents out on the roads.
What kind of Injuries are Caused by Truck Accidents?
As we already mentioned, trucking accidents can result in serious injuries owing to the nature of the vehicle. In this section, let us look at some of the major injuries that can be sustained in trucking accidents-
- Injuries to the Brain- Truck accidents often result in traumatic brain injuries. The same can result in concussions, bleeding, and hemorrhages. Experts recommend getting an X-Ray and a CT scan to find out the extent of the damages. If the accident is serious, you might also need to go under the knife and get brain surgery done immediately.
- Injuries to the Neck and Spinal Area- The second most common form of injuries that occur from truck accidents are spinal ones. In most instances, the whiplash effect disturbs the neck and spinal region. If you have experienced something like this you know it impairs your movement. It can even become a permanent disability.
- Injuries to the Bones and Muscles- Broken bones are a common injury if someone has been involved in a trucking accident. The bones of the legs and hands can get crushed because of the sheer weight and impact of the vehicle. In serious situations, bones in the pelvic area, shoulder, and even the rib cage can get shattered on impact.
- Injuries like Cuts and Lacerations- If there is an accident, there will be sharp jutting metals, glass, and dangerous radiator fuel. This can cause serious lacerations leading to blood loss. One of the major outcomes of truck-related accidents is puncture and stab-like wounds. This leads to blood loss and needs to be addressed immediately.
- Injuries leading to Death- the impact when a truck hits you cannot be compared to any other vehicle. We are talking tons of weight. If any of the above injuries are serious, it can lead to death. Trucking accidents cause a lot of deaths (more than 1000) in the US alone. Legally, this will be termed as a case of wrongful death.
Pursuing Legal Remedies in Truck Accident Cases
It is essential that anyone that has been involved in a trucking accident pursue legal channels to address their suffering. While insurance claims are always there, it is the duty and responsibility of the trucking company to compensate for the medical and life loss that might arise from accidents.
Individuals and families need a truck accident lawyer to help them-
- Understand and prove the fault of the truck driver, vehicle, and trucking company. This has to be done by gathering evidence and building a strong legal case.
- Calculate the overall extent of the damages and come up with a financial figure. This will determine the amount of compensation that will be demanded.
- Carry out aggressive negotiations with the insurance companies. These companies are notorious for low-balling claims and placing fault with the injured.
- Argue for additional settlement offers from the opposing party. This means fighting against the trucking company, different stakeholders to come to a solution.
- Taking the settlement claim to an actual court lawsuit is also a possibility. A lawyer will help argue your case in front of a judge and jury to award compensation.
The Bottom Line
In this article, we have touched upon and discussed some important aspects of truck accidents. We have listed down the major causes of truck accidents, injuries that are caused, as well as why you need to hire a truck accident lawyer. If you have any other questions on truck accidents, let us know in the comments below. We will be happy to address as many of your concerns as possible.
comments powered by Disqus