Cosmetic Surgery Gone Bad? File a Legal Complaint
There are two sides to cosmetic surgery – it can enhance and it can mar. Countless men and women have had cosmetic surgery and there is much evidence that such procedures work. Still, we also learn of several horror stories about cosmetic surgery that went bad.
Even with modern instruments and procedures, cosmetic surgery comes with some risks, such as organ or nerve damage, implant failure, scarring or infections. Despite the advancement and growth of the cosmetic treatment industry, the risks are higher and serious concerns have been raised about the standards of the industry and the dangers of cosmetic surgery.
Types of cosmetic surgeries
You can claim compensation in relation to several types of cosmetic surgery, such as:
- Breast implants and reductions
- Ear surgery
- Laser skin resurfacing
Whether you want to reduce, improve or enhance a body part, you'll find several types of cosmetic surgeries. These procedures can also have corresponding injuries that merit a negligence claim, even if they’re caused by poor aftercare or erroneously done treatments or surgeries.
Some things to keep in mind
Before you make an appointment with the doctor whose credentials you've checked, consider these:
- Persons with darker complexion and high skin pigmentation can have an ugly, visible scar.
- If you had liposuction and get fat later, parts of your body that haven't been liposuctioned will gain more fat.
- A depressed and wide sternum can lead to drooping breasts with a wide gap in-between after breast implants.
- Heavy smokers should not have a face or breast lift. Wound separation or slow wound healing could occur because of the low oxygen content of their blood.
- Fat burners, metabolic enhancers and diet pills can affect your body's reaction to anaesthesia, which can lead to cardiac arrest.
How to make a claim
If you become a victim of bad cosmetic surgery due to negligence, you can claim compensation. The first thing you have to do is to contact a good solicitor who is an expert in cosmetic surgery claims as soon as you feel or see the first symptoms of clinical negligence. Your window to file a claim is three years from the date of the procedure or the first time the symptoms appeared. The solicitor will help you:
- Get an independent cosmetic surgeon to do an examination. He should be an expert in evaluating clinical issues due to negligence during a cosmetic surgery procedure.
- Get detailed statements from reliable medical persons.
- Obtain copies of your medical records. This is to check if the cosmetic surgery done on you followed required medical standards.
You do not have to become a recluse if you become a victim of bad cosmetic surgery. You can get legal help from experts. These professionals will work hard to successfully win your case.
Image courtesy of Ambro at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
comments powered by Disqus