What Can a Personal Injury Attorney Do for You?
If you’ve been involved in a personal injury accident in Colorado, it’s critical to make a quick call to an experienced personal injury attorney in Denver. While some may feel like they can handle a personal injury case on their own (or that the insurance company will take care of everything for you), you shouldn’t overlook the benefits of having a legal expert on your side during the course of your case.
But what exactly can a personal injury attorney do for you? And is it always necessary to hire one when pursuing a personal injury claim? Here, we’re taking a closer look at this specialized field of law and helping you understand just what a personal injury attorney can do for you if you experience an injury as a result of the negligence of someone else.
What is a Personal Injury Attorney?
Before we dig into the benefits of hiring a personal injury attorney, let’s first identify this profession. A personal injury lawyer provides legal services for individuals who have been injured or someway harmed by the negligent actions of another person. This could be an individual, a company, or even a government organization. Personal injury attorneys work on legal cases that fall under the specialized field known as tort law.
So what exactly is tort law? According to the Cornell Law School, a tort is defined as “an act or omission that gives rise to injury or harm to another and amounts to a civil wrong for which courts impose liability.” In this definition, an injury is defined as an invasion of your rights. Harm, on the other hand, is defined as a loss suffered by the individual. Thus, tort law aims to provide legal compensation and justice to those who have suffered injury or harm from a party who can be considered legally liable. Tort law itself may vary in specifics from state to state, but in general, most courts use the Restatement of Torts documentation as their legal guideline when developing tort law.
What Types of Personal Injury Cases Do They Handle?
Personal injury law covers a wide range of accidents and incidents. This can make it a little tricky to know whether or not your case should be handled by one of these specialized lawyers. If you’re unsure, simply call on a local Colorado personal injury attorney. They’ll be able to help you understand your case, and if they can’t help you, they can point you in the direction of a legal expert who can.
To help you better understand this field of law, here are some of the more common cases handled by personal injury attorneys:
- Car accidents.
- Truck accidents.
- Pedestrian accidents.
- Motorcycle accidents.
- Slip and fall accidents.
- Bad faith insurance claims.
- Bicycle accidents.
- Head and neck injuries.
- Brain injuries.
- Medical malpractice.
- Defective products.
- Wrongful death.
What Can a Personal Injury Attorney Do for You?
Now that we understand more about these lawyers and their field of law, it’s time to dig into what exactly these legal professionals can do for you. If you’ve experienced an injury as a result of the negligence of another party, working with a personal injury attorney can make all the difference in ensuring you get the justice you deserve.
Working with an experienced personal injury attorney can offer the following:
- Assessing your case: the first thing a personal injury attorney can do for you is to carefully assess your case. During a free consultation, they can determine if you have a viable claim on your hands before you move any further. They can help translate the complex legal information and language so that you clearly understand the potential for success with your claim.
- Gather information and evidence: additionally, personal injury lawyers can also help you gather critical information and evidence. This may include medical records, police reports, and even physical evidence from the accident. They can also help you determine which evidence is valuable for your case. Following an accident, for example, it’s important to take as many photos of the scene as you can.
- Handle insurance companies: it may seem like your insurance company is on your side, but this isn’t always the case. At the end of the day, insurance companies are still trying to make a profit, which means they may deny valid claims or attempt to offer a “low ball” claim payment. Personal injury attorneys can handle your insurance company to make sure they hold up their end of the legal contract with you. If needed, they’ll also handle any other insurance company representatives on your behalf.
- Negotiate on your behalf: whether with insurance representative or other lawyers, your personal injury attorney will negotiate on your behalf. These negotiations can be tricky, which means you’ll need a seasoned pro on your side to ensure you receive the best possible outcome.
- Take your case to trial: if necessary, they will even take your case to trial and represent you in the court of law.
Conclusion – What Can a Personal Injury Attorney Do for You?
If you’ve been involved in a personal injury accident, remember that you are not alone. Juggling medical bills, your insurance company, and even other lawyers can quickly become overwhelming for anyone. Hire an experienced and compassionate personal injury attorney to help you understand your case and carve out a path for the best possible outcome so that justice is served.
An experienced personal injury lawyer can help assess your case so you clearly understand your rights. Especially for complex cases, like bad faith insurance or a multi-car accident, this knowledge and experience is critical to have in your corner. A good personal injury lawyer will communicate with you on the status of your case so that you know where it’s headed. They will negotiate on your behalf with other lawyers and insurance representatives. If needed, they’ll even represent you in court if it goes to trial. By choosing the right personal injury attorney for your case, you’ll have a much better chance of receiving the financial compensation that you deserve for your injuries.
comments powered by Disqus