Do I Need a Lawyer for a Car Accident?
Following a car accident, you may feel like a broken version of yourself. You may have severe injuries and may even be experiencing confusion or other cognition issues due to a head injury. Additionally, you might be dealing with anxiety, depression, or PTSD. You may even have trouble working or need to take time off.
In addition to injuries and mental health issues, legal concerns come with experiencing a car accident. Following your accident, it’s likely that an insurance company will be in touch with you. They may bombard you with questions and make you feel overwhelmed.
Additionally, insurance companies may make you a settlement offer relatively quickly if you’re the victim. While it can be tempting to accept that offer, there are several reasons why you should wait and seek the advice of an experienced car accident or personal injury attorney. In this article, we will discuss the reasons why you may need a lawyer for your car accident.
What Are the Main Concerns Following a Car Accident?
First, it’s essential to understand the different concerns that arise after a car accident. Some of the concerns you may have include:
- Personal Injuries: Perhaps the most concerning issue following a car accident is the potential injuries that can arise. Both minor and severe injuries are common in car accidents. You may find yourself with only minor cuts or burns. However, you may also find yourself with injuries that appear insignificant at first but have severe long-term effects, such as whiplash. Additionally, you may experience serious injuries, such as broken bones, loss of limbs, traumatic brain injuries, and others.
- Car Repairs: Furthermore, when you are the victim of a car accident, you will likely find yourself facing expensive repairs. Some repairs may be relatively minor, such as when a fender-bender occurs, but that doesn’t mean they’re not still very pricey. Depending on the severity of the accident, you may also be dealing with replacing your entire vehicle.
- Lost Wages: Additionally, car accidents can result in your inability to work and earn money. If you’ve suffered injuries, you may find that you’re unable to complete your work as usual. This can significantly affect not only your current earning but also your future earning potential and overall career growth.
- Litigation: Finally, car accidents also almost always come with some form of legal intervention. If you’re at fault in the accident, the victim will likely reach out to your insurance company looking for compensation, and there could even be a lawsuit involved. Furthermore, if you were the victim in a car accident, then it’s likely you’re looking for ways to recover damages to help repair your car, pay medical bills, and make up for lost present and future wages.
How an Attorney Can Help After a Car Accident
Having an attorney on your side following a car accident can be hugely beneficial. If you’ve been in a car accident, reaching out to a personal injury or car accident attorney in your area may be the most important thing that you do.
Many personal injury and car accident attorneys recognize that you won’t have the money to pay them upfront and only get paid if and when you receive compensation. Regardless, seeking out an attorney for a free initial consultation is always helpful, as they can let you know what you might expect from your claim and what kinds of damages you may be entitled to.
A personal injury attorney that specializes in car accidents can offer many benefits. Some of the most pronounced benefits you may see include:
- They will file your claim: When you’ve been in a car accident, the last thing you want to think about is legal issues. There is a lot of paperwork involved in filing any type of claim, and without having the expertise that comes with being an attorney, you will probably feel very overwhelmed and not even know where to start.
Also, you will likely overlook some aspects of your case if you manage it on your own, which may mean that you’ll miss out on some opportunities for compensation. However, attorneys who practice personal injury or car accidents are well-versed in looking at all aspects of your case and can take care of all the necessary paperwork for you. They can also communicate directly with your insurance company and the insurance companies of the other people involved in the accident, making the whole process much smoother for you.
- They can help you find medical professionals: Additionally, as injuries are common in car accidents, it is likely that you will need to see a doctor and potentially other specialists. However, making appointments and quickly receiving help can be very difficult. Many personal injury attorneys have connections with medical professionals as they deal with them very often.
Thus, your lawyer may be able to recommend who you should see following a car accident and may even be able to get you into the office sooner than you could on your own. This can make tending to your injuries much more manageable and will help you get on your feet more quickly.
- They can look at all angles of your case: Furthermore, a car accident or personal injury attorney can also help by looking into your case in depth. If you’re not familiar with the law, you may not understand all the different reasons you can seek compensation. However, an attorney will look at all angles of your case to determine the best course of action and all of the different reasons why you may be entitled to compensation.
- They can help you receive compensation: Finally, on that note, receiving compensation for your accident is probably the most significant way that an attorney can help following a car accident. There are many different ways to seek out compensation and various reasons that they may do so.
An attorney will examine your present and future medical costs and how your earning potential has been impacted. They will also look at the damage to your vehicle and if you’ve had to replace it. Furthermore, they will investigate other aspects, such as pain and suffering, and driver negligence. If the driver who hit you was negligent (ignoring safety, driving under the influence, etc.), they might even seek out punitive damages.
Following a car accident, you will likely have many concerns. Often injuries are involved, which can make everything very difficult. Being in pain or experiencing mobility or cognition issues can make the whole process much more strenuous and overwhelming. Additionally, you will likely have damage to your vehicle and may even need to replace it altogether.
Furthermore, you may end up missing work or may have to stop working entirely, which will not only result in a loss of wages but may affect your future earning potential. Also, if you were the victim in a car accident, you will likely be looking to receive compensation for all of these things, but seeking out damages on your own can be very difficult.
A personal injury attorney or car accident lawyer can be hugely beneficial following an accident. They can look into all aspects of your case, file the necessary paperwork, communicate with insurance companies, and may even be able to set you up with medical professionals.
Because a car accident attorney can be so helpful, it’s likely in your best interest to seek out a free initial consultation if possible. An attorney can look into your case and determine if you may be entitled to compensation. The most important thing is not to wait when it comes to addressing your claim and your injuries. You can find yourself dealing with debt and injuries for a long time to come if you hesitate. If you’ve been in a car accident, consult with a professional to see what your next steps should be.
comments powered by Disqus