Legal Guide

Learn the ins and outs of the Passport Form DS3053

Passport Form DS3053 is a U.S. Department of State form used for a Statement of Consent for a minor's passport. It is used when one parent or guardian cannot go with the minor child to apply in person for a U.S. passport. If one parent or guardian is unable to be present during the passport application process, Form DS-3053 is required to provide consent for the issuance of a passport to a minor child. This form must be notarized and signed by the absent parent or guardian. In addition to the DS-3053 form, the child's birth certificate, evidence of the parent or guardian's relationship to the child, and the absent parent or guardian's government-issued photo ID must also be submitted with the passport application. It's important to note that the requirements for obtaining a passport for a minor can vary depending on individual circumstances. You can find more information on the U.S. Department of State's website or by contacting the National Passport Information Center.

Where can I get a DS-3053 Form to download and print?

You can download Form DS-3053, Statement of Consent: Issuance of a Passport to a Minor Under Age 16, from the U.S. Department of State's website. Here are the steps to follow to get the form:

  • Visit the U.S. Department of State's website.
  • Scroll down to the "Form DS-3053" section, and click the "PDF" link to download the form.
  • You can print the form and fill it out manually, or you can fill it out electronically using Adobe Reader or any other PDF editor software.
  • Once you've completed the form, make sure to sign and date it in the presence of a notary public.
  • Submit the form along with the other required documents when you apply for the child's passport.

If you have any questions or concerns about the form, you can contact the U.S. Department of State's National Passport Information Center for assistance.

Instructions for completing the DS3053 Passport application

Here are the steps to fill out the Passport Form DS-3053:

  • Download the form from the U.S. Department of State's website, or obtain a paper copy from a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility.
  • Fill out the top portion of the form with your personal information, including your full name, date of birth, and contact information.
  • Provide information about the minor child for whom you are giving consent, including the child's full name, date of birth, and passport application details.
  • If you are the non-applying parent or guardian, sign and date the form in the "Statement of Consent" section.
  • Have the form notarized by a notary public. The notary public will require you to provide identification and witness your signature. You may be charged a fee for the notary service.
  • Submit the completed and notarized DS-3053 form along with the child's passport application at a U.S. Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility.

It's important to read the instructions on the form carefully and make sure you provide accurate and complete information. It is necessary to use black ink while filling out the PDF DS3053 form, and it must first be printed off. The instructions are included in the content of the PDF file that you downloaded. It is recommended that this minor passport consent form be filled out in its entirety and in a legible manner because of the possibility of delays in application processing periods caused by incomplete forms or writing that is illegible. Because of this potential, it is important that this form be completed appropriately. If you have any questions about how to fill out the form, you can contact the U.S. Department of State or consult with a qualified passport acceptance agent.

More to Read: