Is there a time limit to file a personal injury case?
When a person is involved in an accident that causes a serious injury it can have a lasting impact on their health and finances. Most people in their lifetime will experience an event that causes a personal injury due to someone else’s negligence. If you were involved in this type of accident and have not taken legal action you might be wondering, can I still file for a personal injury lawsuit? It depends on what state your in as all states have different statutes of limitation, this is essentially what the law states as the time you have after an accident to proceed with legal action. A personal injury lawyer will know you specific states statute of limitation and they will be able to help you file a lawsuit if you are still within the guidelines. If your accident occurred in Alabama, reach out to a Daphne, AL personal injury lawyer so they can review your case and fight to get you the compensation you deserve.
What is the Time Limit to File a Personal Injury Case?
In most states, there is a two year rule that states you must file for the claim within the first 2 years after the accident happened. In Alabama specifically, the Alabama code section 6-2-38 is like the majority, it has a two year rule to file. Now you might be wondering, how do I go about filing for this claim as it has not been two years since my accident and what types of damages can I receive? A personal injury lawyer can help you do this, these laws can get confusing at times and a skilled personal injury attorney will know exactly what to do to make sure you file correctly the first time.
Types of Damages You can Receive Compensation for in a Personal Injury Case
When discussing a personal injury case, your “losses” that occurred from the injury is what the legal systems considers “damages.” Some of the most common damages asked for in these types of personal injury cases are but not limited to:
- Medical costs – these can be future or current medical bills, any hospital stays, visits to the doctor, physical therapy or rehabilitative care, medical equipment you might need, any prescription drugs, and many other healthcare expenses.
- If you can not work due to your injury you can get reimbursed for lost time at work.
- If after your injury you are limited and must work fewer hours, or possibly take a lesser paying job you can get damages for lost earning capacity.
- Also, you may receive compensation for what is called “pain and suffering” for any physical pain and or emotional pains and trauma.
Now, let us discuss what types of accidents and events are most common to file for a personal injury claim.
Most Common Cases to File for a Personal Injury Claim
There are many accidents that a person could file a personal injury claim for, these are just some of the more common ones.
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Premises liability accidents
- Product liability or defective product liability injuries
- Defective medical device injury
- Unsafe prescription drug injury
- Work place accident and injuries
- Medical malpractice injuries
- Wrongful death
As you can see, there are many ways one could become injured due to someone else’s negligence. If you were injured in these types of events and it was someone else’s fault, reach out to a personal injury attorney today.
How can a Personal Injury Attorney Help Me?
A skilled personal injury attorney will know whether or not you have a personal injury claim on your hands, and they can help in a multitude of ways. Some of the ways they can help are:
- Review all of your losses and determine the accurate dollar amount for any and all of the damages you have.
- They will make sure to file all the paperwork that is needed for these types of lawsuits and will even notify the at fault party about the personal injury claim.
- A personal injury lawyer will also talk to the insurance companies on your behalf so you do not have to deal with them.
- They will make sure to review all the evidence and facts of the case to prove you were injured due to another’s negligence.
- And they will negotiate with the other party if in fact they are willing to settle, they will also negotiate with the insurance companies if need be.
As you can see, hiring a skilled personal injury attorney can help you in many ways. Not only will they perform all the above, but they will also give you peace o mind knowing you have a great team of lawyers on your side to get you the compensation you deserve. If you believe you have a personal injury claim and it has not been over 2 years since the accident occurred, it would be wise to reach out to a local personal injury lawyer today so you can receive compensation for your damages and losses.
comments powered by Disqus