Legal Guide

Different Visa Options For Parents Going To Australia

Moving to Australia and other parts of the world becomes more difficult because of COVID-19. Accepting non-citizens is closed in the meantime, even with individuals holding a temporary visa as international borders are not available.

Perhaps you wish your parents to join you in Australia, but travel bans happen from time to time making them unable to visit your place. Applying for a parent visa or visitor visa is the solution.

What is a Parent Visa?

With a parent visa, Australian or New Zealand residents (whether permanent or eligible), can move to Australia. It is costly to get a parent visa, and also requires a longer processing time for up to 30 years than any other visas. 

Primary requirements to obtain a parent visa include passing the balance-of-family test. It refers to whether the applicant has half of her/his children who permanently reside in Australia. The applicant must also be a parent or a permanent resident for at least 2 years in Australia.

What is a Visitor Visa?

A cheaper alternative to bringing your parents to Australia is a visitor visa. It is quicker to process within 10 years and has longer validity. This type of visa applies to the parents of Australian citizens that live in Australia permanently.

Unlike in getting a parent visa, there is no need to comply with the balance-of-family test. That means it does not matter if more children live in countries other than Australia.

It is only a temporary visa that limits full access to the Australian healthcare system. Applicants may not also have work rights in the country.

How to choose between a parent visa and a visitor visa?

Picking between a parent visa and a visitor visa will depend on the applicant’s migration needs. If you are planning to move to Australia for a little while, then a visitor visa is the best choice. For more permanent options, getting a parent visa is necessary.

Overall, it is a matter of weighing up the pros and cons of these two visa types. And then select what works best for your situation.

List of Visa Options For Your Specific Needs

Application for Electronic Travel Authority or ETA visa is temporarily closed due to the pandemic. There are only a few countries that allow visa applications because of strict travel restrictions. To name some include Belgium, Canada, Japan, South Korea, and many more across Asia. Many applicants prefer ETA visas because of instant processing time and convenience at an affordable rate.

Here are visa alternatives for applicants from certain countries which do not allow ETA visa application at the moment. The second up to the last numbers are all parent visas from offshore and onshore.

  • Subclass 600 Visitor Visa

This is a visitor visa that needs a sponsor. It guarantees a longer stay in Australia for up to 12 months with at least three months of processing time. The sponsor must be lawfully residing in Australia for not less than two years to be eligible.

  • Subclass 870 Temporary Parent Visa

A temporary parent visa allows up to 5 years of stay in Australia. Reapplication of visa will extend the stay for 10 years that demands an increasing cost.

  • Subclass 143 Contributory Parent Visa

Australian citizenship is possible with a contributory parent visa once the requirements are completed. It gives applicants the benefit to stay in the country for a lifetime, and also be eligible to work, study, and health-related services. They can also travel around Australia within 5 years.

  • Subclass 173 Contributory Temporary Parent Visa

This is the temporary version of the previous visa type that permits living in Australia for up to 2 years from offshore. Migrants can choose to apply for a temporary visa first to be ready for visa application with higher charges.

  • Subclass 103 Parent Visa

For applicants fully ready to pay for higher charges, a subclass 103 parent visa is a good alternative. It is suitable for parents with a child settled permanently in Australia to also move there. Applicants should meet the requirements including balance-of-family test and health and character criteria. The sponsoring child must be a permanent resident in the said country.

6.     Subclass 884 Contributory Aged Parent Visa

The applicant must be 65 years old to be eligible for an age pension. It permits temporary residency for up to two years with the benefit of working and studying in Australia. This is available for onshore applicants able to pay higher charges.

7.     Subclass 804 Aged Parent Visa

Older parents who have a temporary visa can apply for permanent residency with an aged parent visa. It will demand a longer period of at least 13 years for an application to get approved. A contributory aged parent visa could be an alternative but will require higher expenses.

Who can help?

Partner Visa Specialists in Perth are willing to assist with your visa application to be approved quickly. A migration agent will manage the whole process from start to finish with minimal delays and correct documents. They can process different types of visas, including a parent visa and a visitor visa that will help parents move to Australia as soon as possible. Check out the qualifications and contact them for more details.

Final Thoughts

Wrapping it all up, the pandemic had turned visa applications more difficult wherein some agencies are temporarily closed. A wider range of visas helps to easily find alternatives to safely move to Australia after meeting all the requirements. All you need is to look for a sponsor, specifically your child if you are a parent. Then, wait for quite some time to finally live there.

More to Read: