Legal Guide

Home > Legal Guide

5 Things to Consider if Claiming for a Workplace Accident

Everybody wants to feel safe and free from danger in their place of work, no matter what the job. While certain occupations are more dangerous than others, health and safety plays a big part in almost all walks of life.

Unfortunately however, sometimes workplace accidents or injuries as a result of employment do happen and it can be a difficult time for everyone involved.

Annual statistics from the HSE, a work-related health, safety and illness independent watchdog, indicate that there were 114,000 injuries to workers reported by employers in 2011/2012. There were also 591,000 self-reported work injuries as well.

In certain instances, it is possible to make a work accident compensation claim, which can result in money for recovery and loss of income. However, there are certain things to consider before claiming for an incident that may improve your chances of damages and protection against unnecessary expenditure.

Did you report it at the time? 

If you have an accident at work, it is important to report what happened to your employer immediately afterwards, or at least as soon as possible. Every workplace should have an accident book, so be sure to write a detailed description of the accident down.

If there is no accident book, write your own statement and send it to your employer, keeping a copy for yourself, too. You may need somebody else to help if you are incapable of recording a report owing to the injury.

Consult your doctor or visit the hospital

For minor injuries and serious workplace accidents, it is advisable to seek medical attention. With a description of what happened and a thorough physical assessment, a doctor will be able to diagnose the problem and advise you how to proceed.

If you decide to go ahead with a claim, then the doctor who makes the assessment may be required to give evidence. It is important to keep your doctor up to date with how your injury is progressing and any further problems you may have.

Have you told the authorities?

It may not be serious, but it is still recommended to register the accident as an industrial injury with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). You will be given a form to fill out with necessary details about the event.

This could assist with any future benefit claims if you develop a disability or health problem as a consequence.

Can your employer help?

You should be entitled to some sort of statutory sick pay as a result of your time off through injury. If you signed a contract at the start of your employment, details should be included on this document. 

Your place of work may also have some sort of insurance policy, which could potentially pay out in your favour.

Are you eligible for a state benefit?

In addition to any compensation claim, you may also be able to boost your income with government benefits. One example is an Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.

While state support may only be minimal, it can be a welcome source of income in addition to any claim. 

comments powered by Disqus